If you think of having a chair or table in your backyard in outdoor conditions, you have to choose the wood that can stay unaffected in rain or direct sunlight. You will probably think of yellow pine wood as it is cheap and has all the required properties, which makes it one of the best options for outdoor furniture.
If you are not interested in pine or want something that can stand out in the crowd and catch the eyes of your guests, mahogany could be the best option in the market. Even if it is recommended and has an excellent reputation in the wood furniture industry, you may still think that is mahogany good for outdoor furniture?
Mahogany wood probably stands in the middle or maybe a bit lower side of the hardwood prices. People consider it one of the perfect woods for outdoor furniture applications because of its durability and high resistance.
Apart from this, mahogany hardwood is easy to handle and can be crafted with hand equipment. Even if you don’t take good care of it or do proper maintenance, mahogany wood will live for years without showing any signs of decay, but the color of the furniture may turn gray from reddish.
This article has all the things you always wanted to know about mahogany wood and its furniture.
Table of Contents
Is African mahogany rot resistant
African mahogany is solely popular because of its durability and resistance, even in outdoor conditions. It can resist all kinds of attacks and issues, whether it is decay, warping, or infestation. Not only rot, but it is also water-resistant and can be placed outdoors even if it rains a lot.
It doesn’t require much maintenance and can live for years in an outdoor environment even if left untreated. This is why mahogany is now being used in manufacturing casework, fine furniture, musical instruments, windows, doors, and architectural millwork.
Is African mahogany expensive
There are various kinds of mahogany woods, but the African species is probably the most famous. One of its species is referred to as genuine mahogany, which is quite expensive.
Genuine or Honduran mahogany is expensive, and if you want to get furniture of such quality while spending less, African mahogany is the best option for you.
African mahogany is highly affordable and can bring qualities and powers acquired by some of the most expensive and top hardwoods in the wood furniture market.
Is African mahogany the same as Sapele
Sapele is one of the family members of the mahogany family. It is usually considered the best and most efficient alternative to genuine mahogany because of its almost the same properties and compositions.
Comparing Sapele with African mahogany, it is a bit hard, stiff, and heavy in weight. You may think of how hard it is? Experts claim that Sapele is about 15 to 17% harder than some Mahogany and red oak.
This is why Sapele is usually preferred for flooring applications, as it is tough to get a scratch on this wood.
Is African mahogany a hardwood
African mahogany is definitely hardwood and is quite solid as well. Do keep this fact in mind that hardwoods are categorized as temperate hardwoods or tropical hardwoods.
African mahogany falls in the tropical hardwood category and is considered one of the hardest wood in the market. Because of its stiffness and repellent properties, it is often used for outdoor furniture applications.
Where does mahogany wood come from
Different species of mahogany come from different regions of the world. It is popular and quite affordable because of this very reason that it can be availed from any part of the globe.
Tropical America is well known for growing Swietenia Mahogany. This species remains green for the whole year and usually has tall trees. Red mahogany comes from Australian states such as New Guinea and Queensland.
African mahogany is in demand, and this durable and resistant wood comes from the Gold Coast, Ivory Coast, and many other parts of Nigeria.
Mahogany outdoor furniture pros and cons
Pros of Mahogany furniture
- This wood is about 70% harder than all other hardwood in the market such as oak. This factor makes the furniture much more durable and long-lasting.
- Various grains’ patterns give attractive and versatile looks to your furniture.
- Even with high strength and quality, it is inexpensive as it can be found in many regions of the world.
- It has fade resistance properties that make it perfect for the furniture that needs to be placed under direct sunlight.
- Insects, pests, and termite repellent.
Cons of Mahogany furniture
- Although it is inexpensive than many other hardwoods, it may still not be affordable for some people.
- Various varieties make it difficult for the customer to identify the original mahogany wood furniture.
Mahogany outdoor furniture maintenance
- Never let moisture come near it. If water spills, remove it from the furniture immediately.
- Wipe off the dust and debris using a soft cloth on a regular basis.
- Don’t apply abrasive cleaners on mahogany furniture.
- Although it can efficiently deal with sunlight, protecting it from direct sunlight will be much more beneficial.
How to identify mahogany outdoor furniture
- Put pressure on wood furniture and if it doesn’t leave a mark, it is surely hardwood.
- Take a good look at the edges and corners because if the wood has a thin layer at the edge line, it is not mahogany.
- If there are long dark lines and fine patterns of grains, it is mahogany wood furniture.
- If the wood has pink color, it is fresh but if it has reddish-brown shades, it is a bit old.
How to protect mahogany outdoor furniture
- Do the refinishing of furniture on a periodic basis.
- Remove all the dirt and debris from the surface and make it crystal clear.
- Apply water-based sealants on the mahogany wood furniture evenly with a brush.
- Water-based sealants are recommended because of their eco-friendly behavior.
- Let it dry for a few hours or a day.
- Repeat this process at least once a year if not twice.