When you hear the word “mango,” you may think about the juicy fruits that come from this tree. Countries all around the world import mango fruits because their residents are fond of this yellow fruit.
The mango tree is also famous because of its wood, but the question usually arises: Is mango wood good for furniture? Whoever wants to get some part of the furniture for their beautiful and expensive home wants the best wood to be used in its manufacturing.
Mango wood is popular in the furniture manufacturing industry because of its medium characteristics. Experts claim that mango trees have a dense amount of grains that are interconnected. This factor makes the wood durable and strong with an easily bearing weight.
Although it has strength and can be used in creating chairs and tables, it is soft enough that you don’t need any heavy machinery or tools to work with it. There are many more things to know about mango wood, and all these are discussed briefly in the article.
Where does mango wood come from
In the beginning, mango was only available in Asian countries, especially in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, and Myanmar.
With the increase in popularity and advancement of the world, mangoes can now be found in almost all world regions.
Although this tree is being cultivated in all tropical climates to get the taste of juicy mango fruits, its wood also has a huge name in the wood furniture industry.
One of the best things that contribute to its popularity is that it remains green for the whole year, and you can get its wood during any season.
Does mango wood furniture scratch easily
The hardness and strength of the mango wood are usually measured in pounds and newtons. Mango wood has a hardness of 1070 pounds on each foot which places it in a medium-range category.
Experts claim that mango wood furniture can easily be scratched, but it can be polished in a way that will hide any kinds of scratches from the surface.
Is mango wood good for outdoor furniture
Direct sunlight may affect the life of mango furniture, but apart from this, mango wood is totally useful in outdoor conditions.
Mango wood has the ability to repel any kinds of damages that come from water, and this repelling power increases if the furniture is polished. This allows you to keep it outdoors even if it rains a lot.
Mango wood furniture pros and cons?
Pros of mango wood furniture
- Wood has a dark brown color but treatment in different ways can bring different colors such as golden brown and pale.
- Grain forms lines that lead to an attractive pattern on furniture.
- Mango wood is non-toxic to humans and pets as well.
- Highly durable and can live for decades.
- Require little if no maintenance.
- Less expensive.
- Water resistance.
Cons of mango wood furniture
- Cannot prevent fungus.
- It may not be appropriate for some kinds of heavy fortunes.
- Discoloration can occur under direct sunlight.
How to polish mango wood furniture
Below are the 6 easy steps to polish mango wood furniture.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Clean your mango wood furniture and wipe off all the dust and debris from its surface.
Now start by sanding the wood with 120 grit paper and increase these numbers with progress.
Move the sanding paper in slow circular motions to make the wood surface smooth.
Once the area feels smooth and you don’t feel any grains on the surface, apply polish directly on the wood furniture.
Let it air dry for a day or more to make it perfectly usable.
Varnishing can also be done to get enhanced beauty.
How to maintain mango wood furniture
- Keep your furniture clean and wipe the dust off on a regular basis.
- Apply liquid polish on a periodic basis.
- Keep water and alcoholic liquids away from the furniture.
- Don’t place your mango wood furniture in direct sunlight.
- Keep the furniture away from fires and heat radiators.
- Immediately cover the scratched area with some varnish or polish before it gets worse.
- Don’t put drinks or bottles directly on the furniture, always use some sort of coasters or placements while doing so.
- If you spill water on it, remove it as much as you can. This will increase its life in the long run.
How to remove stains from mango wood furniture
- Start by rubbing the stains with a soft cloth and if the stains remain still, move to the next step.
- Make a mixture of vinegar and olive oil and apply it directly to the stained area.
- Move the soft cloth in the grains’ direction.
- It will only take half a minute to remove the stain.
- Once the stain has been gone, wipe the area again with a new soft cloth to remove any excess amount of moisture and dust from the wood furniture.
Mango wood furniture frequently asked questions
Is mango wood eco-friendly
Mango wood is completely eco-friendly and doesn’t bring any harm to our environment. The fact that they grow tasty fruits and have no toxicity in their properties, mango wood is categorized as one of the most eco-friendly woods in the world.
Is mango wood expensive
As mango trees can be found in various regions and countries of the world, their wood can be available at relatively low prices as compared to other trees that only grow in a few countries or in special weather conditions.
Apart from this, mango wood is only given after it becomes old (cannot grow fruits like before) after years. Farmers know that at this point, the tree is of no use except to sell it to furniture manufacturers. As they have no other option and have earned a lot by selling their fruits, they tend to sell mango wood at low prices.
Is mango wood furniture durable
Mango wood is categorized as a middle-order durable wood and the furniture made up of this wood can live for years but there are a few things that need to be considered.
Mango wood furniture can face decay if it is kept in direct sunlight for a long period of time. If placed inside the home or shady locations, it can live for an appropriate time, sometimes decades as well.
Curious to learn is neem wood good for bed, is acacia wood good for outdoor furniture or is elm wood furniture expensive?