For people who live in small homes and studio apartments, the question isn’t really about how to ensure that the layout of furniture for small living room works. Instead, it is all about how you can make everything work in such a way that it will serve different purposes while still having enough room to breathe.
The living room is usually the hub of any home but if it is narrow and cramped, the choice of small living room furniture arrangement may feel like a puzzling math problem. Good thing that it is now possible to have a tiny living room that will be able to do it all and feel relatively spacious at the same time.
Here are some tips and pointers on how to arrange furniture in a small living room:
Table of Contents
The basic living arrangement rules are still applicable
Small living room furniture arrangement might seem like a challenge yet while it may seem shocking, decorating a small living room is usually much easier than a bigger one, especially if you are on a tight budget.
The same rules for designing are applicable for both smaller and larger living rooms. Always go for a piece of furniture that will fit the space and avoid squeezing in too much.
This one may be easier said than done. However, these ideas and tips for furniture layout for a small living room might give you inspiration and show and prove to you that sometimes, less is more.
Arranging a small living room with plenty of storage
This kind of arrangement offers lots of storage and still offering lots of seating. A long wall will have adequate room for big shelving unit, while a table at the back of the sofa can offer extra storage as well as potential spot for lighting.
It is a small living room furniture arrangement that is perfect for couples or single adult. By switching out the bar with slightly bigger table, the arrangement can even work for small families as well.
During entertaining, chairs or stools can be relocated in another part of the room for short-term extra seating, with the bar acting as the serving area.
- Sofa selection – An armless sofa looks sleek in a small space but it might not offer much comfort to lounge about. One more thing to consider is the fact that your living room might not be tiny forever and sofas might last a decade or even more. For this reason, make sure you pick a comfortable sofa. Consider the sofa as your important investment and go for cheaper accent furnishings.
- Choice of accent chairs – Always think when buying accent chairs. Anything that has dark colors or heavy look will feel big in a small room. A good option are armless chairs such as slipper chairs. Stay away from something with tall backrest. The transparent chairs like ghost chairs will look better in a small space.
- Simplify – For small spaces, pick furniture pieces that have clean lines to ensure that the eyes don’t linger in just one place. It is what you call keeping things simple. Shabby but stylish slipcovers and overstuffed chairs might overpower small living rooms.
Arranging a small living room for families
This small living room furniture arrangement can be an excellent option for single adults or even small families. Using sectional sofa together with coffee table is a perfect spot to play board games or just hang out.
An ottoman which will double as coffee table may offer additional seating. A dining table at the back of the sofa can accommodate two to four that makes it a great layout for small families.
- Light colors and neutrals – Choose the bigger pieces first such as your sofa. Opt for neutrals for larger furnishings. Mix in small pieces with different colors and styles to add texture and interest. It keeps the space interesting without a catalog-like and generic feel. In smaller space, you must pick furnishings with lighter feel then stick with simple patterns and colors. Color in smaller areas often looks when used in smaller quantities such as in the throw pillows and accessories like lamps or vases.
- Coffee table – When you ditch the ottoman and use center coffee table as an alternative, pick anything transparent in glass or acrylic. Avoid ornate furnishings as well. Search for tables with delicate or simple lines. Your table must look like it is disappearing to create an illusion of a more spacious room.
Kid-friendly arrangement for small living rooms
Sectional sofas and lots of storage is ideal for families with small kids. Maximizing space is a must in small spaces. Storage could also be added around the windows so don’t let the window be a hindrance. You can keep the toys in smaller storage units while bigger ones can hold your TV and other stuff. Small side tables can serve as a welcome spot for a drink or lighting or both.
Exceptional storage solutions
While you can easily find good and cheap storage solutions in big box shops, you can try thinking outside the box.
For more savings, you can shop for the stock cabinetry for kitchens at companies that offer building supplies. A closet storage system or bedroom wardrobe can be altered for living spaces as well. Standalone pantries can be next to each other on the longer wall for forming a single-unit look.
Old filing cabinets or Clementine crates mounted on the wall can create fabulous looks and plenty of storage while adding lots of aesthetic interest to the room.
Modify baskets, boxes, storage bins, and other accent items to add more appeal. A wardrobe can also be attached to the wall surrounded with molding to achieve that built-in look for less.
Other tips for small living room furniture arrangement
Even the best laid out plans can spoil a window and other elements. If a couch or storage doesn’t work on a long wall, you can use this arrangement as a great alternative. It will also make you feel comfortable as you pull out the sofa from off the wall.
For rooms with combined dining and living area, you can use the sofa to visually divide the space and define the living area.
- Color palette – Use a maximum of three colors in small spaces but it is best to settle for a palette with two colors. A palette in all-white color looks gorgeous in small rooms.
- Wall color – Buy your furnishings prior to deciding on the wall color. Many people tend to do it the other way around only to end up repainting or getting frustrated since they weren’t able to find matching furnishings. What wall color goes with espresso cabinets?
- Minimal design –Minimize your furnishings. The general rule of thumb is stick to one table, one sofa, and one chair. After you add these elements, it is great if you got more room. But if none, just let it be.
Recommended furniture for small living room:
If need help picking the best furniture combo, please visit our furniture shop in jb.